Makenzie had her latest MRI on July 1st. MRIs are so much easier now that she stays awake for them. Her doctor was out of town at a national brain tumor conference so we had to wait a while to find out the results. Good news.... still no growth. This chemo is keeping the tumor in check and not making Makenzie sick, her quality of life is great. She will continue chemo at least until January now. As long as she continues to handle this chemo well with little toxicity and it controls the tumor... her doctor says she could continue on it for a while. We found out there are kids who have gone 3-4 years. At the minimum, we are buying time while more treatment options become available.
I think we have moved since we last updated this blog also... just a few miles north of where we were. We have been busy the past week or so ripping up tile and laying down hardwood floors. Makenzie has been a big help keeping the boys occupied while mom and dad work. Soon after we moved our ward split... we are in the new West Wing Ward and Chris is still ward clerk. I guess almost 7 years wasn't enough yet! Terri will be the Webelos leader.
Makenzie is enjoying her summer. She's been swimming a lot, going to the summer movies, been on vacation to Utah to visit her grandma, grandpa, aunt, uncle, and cousins, spent the night at the Phoenix Zoo with dad and Carson, and been to a Diamondbacks game. She's been sleeping in most days but she only has about 5 more weeks to do that. She also had to get glasses. She wasn't seeing as well as she should... but that is probably just bad genes from dad, although the tumor could have something to do with it. We did learn from her eye exams that she has suffered some nerve damage from the hydrocephalus years ago that affects her peripheral vision, she doesn't have much. But she still functions very well, I guess she just won't be a fighter pilot now.
Carson is excited about being a kindergartner this fall. He's been getting school clothes and supplies. Brayden is just staying busy playing and keeping everyone else busy watching him. He is a funny (sometimes evil) little boy. He told us in church yesterday he wanted to put us all in the microwave and cook us.
Keep Makenzie in your prayers... it works. I don't think most kids do as well as Makenzie has done. But she still has a long road ahead.
4 comments:
So happy to hear the tumor hasn't grown! Woo-hoo!! Sounds like she's doing extremely well.
I'm glad to hear good news about Makenzie. Sorry about Brayden...it sounds like he may be following in Porter's footsteps! We miss you guys a ton! DCTL!
-The Olivers
Hi Moores: We are really happy to hear the tumor has not grown. That is great news. We are glad you moved to a new house. It sounds like you are really busy. I bet Carson can't wait to go to school and I'll bet Mom can't either. Take Care. We love you and think of you often. Hi to Mackenzie, Carson, Brayden and Chris. Hi Terri! We love you
Aunt Irene and boys
Aunt Irene
Kenzie & Family, I am so glad to hear the chemo is still working for you and not giving you too many side effects. I check your blog often for updates and think of you lots. Best to all. I was and will always feel like your Angel Cathy from Tennessee...
Post a Comment