Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Makenzie is back in the hospital.

Tuesday afternoon she started leaking fluid from her surgical incision. We went to the ER at Thunderbird. They said it was a localized infection and gave her antibiotics. But Wednesday morning her neurosurgeon said the fluid was cerebrospinal fluid and that her third ventriculoscopy surgery was not working. They used the bubble reservoir under her scalp to drain off excess fluid. Now they are checking for signs of infection. She is probably going to have surgery Monday to get a shunt since the first surgery appears not to be working. She is still doing great and acting like nothing is wrong. She's mad that she will be in the hospital for another week and that she will have to spend her birthday in there. But she is looking forward to a great birthday party when she gets home again. She is in no major immediate danger. If the pressure in her head builds up they simply tap the bubble reservoir to drain some. And the shunt surgery is not nearly the risk that the third ventriculoscopy surgery was.

To those of you in our ward... this Sunday is fast Sunday. Our family would greatly appreciate all who would be willing to fast and pray that Makenzie's second surgery goes smoothly and that her tumor will be healed. As always, we appreciate all the help and support from everywhere.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Makenzie was in great spirits tonight.
We played games, read and sang. She has invited us to a pajama party for her birthday tomorrow. We can't come unless we are wearing pajamas. So, I am baking cupcakes and getting up my nerve to show up at the hospital in my pajamas.
WE love you Makenzie and as I told you tonight you are my little hero!!!
Keep your princess smile for Grandma
Betty!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Makenzie. You are such a little trooper. If I could get there tomorrow in my pajamas, I would! But we'll see you next week. Maybe you and Zachary can be roommates!!
Debra Phelan

Anonymous said...

Hello Makenzie! We are praying for you. We're sorry you have to miss school and church because we know how much you love learning and we know how much you love being a member of the church. We miss you too. When you read this note, you'll be SEVEN! Wow! One more year until you're baptized. Have the best birthday at the hospital and then have an even better birthday when you get home!
Love, the McRae's

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Makenzie!!

We love you so much!!!

I cant wait to come to your PJ party tonight...and I can't believe I'm going to wear PJ's in public!!

Only for you sweetheart, only for you!!

LOVE, Aunt Ginger

Deanna Payne said...

Makenzie,
I just wanted to tell you I love you and am praying for you to get better fast! Keep your chin up sweetie!

Anonymous said...

Makenzie, It's so good to hear that you are doing so well despite your recent set-back! We have been praying for you and your family. Take care!

Holly Phelps

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Makenzie! I can't believe you are 7! Carter, Brady & Camryn hope you have a happy birthday. We all want to come see you as soon as we get rid of our colds. Maybe we can meet at the park again. Have a fun slumber party.
Love,
April & kids

Anonymous said...

The pajama party was a huge success. We had so much fun. One of the volunteer hospital dogs and his owner stopped at our party. Hobbs and Makenzie made great friends. She wasn't even afraid of the dog. She threw a ball several times for him to chase down the hall.

We had Krispy Kreme doughnuts and cupcakes with pink frosting. Makenzie requested from Grandma Alice her doughnut to be with chocolate frosting and sprinkles. She did enjoy!!

Thanks again for all your love and prayers.
Grandma Betty

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Makenzie!

We can't wait until you get out of the hospital and we can celebrate with you, your family and friends. You are so brave and are keeping such a cheerful heart. You are forever in our prayers.

HOPE ~ FAITH ~ COURAGE ~ LOVE ~

Kelli & Kayli

Anonymous said...

Terri, my heart is with you, my prayers are for you and your family and our fast will be directed towards healing the tumor. Even Brice is praying for your family. With it being stake temple day yesterday, I'm sure you could have seen the prayers flying out of the building to heaven.

I AM wishing I could have come to the pj party. I even got pink pj's for Christmas. Makenzie, you are so awesome. Love Sister and Brother Nelson

Anonymous said...

I wore my PJ's in honor of Makenzie's birthday! Missed out on the Krispy Kreme with spinkles....darn! My heart and prayers are for your family! You are such a trooper Kenzie...I love you!
Peggy Vo