Saturday, June 17, 2006

7th Treatment

Makenzie's blood counts bounced back nicely and she was able to get her 7th treatment. Dr. Etzl is concerned about her not feeling well all the time and having difficulty swallowing. He talked about maybe changing the chemo medication she is on. He was concerned that tumor growth or shift may be causing her problems and we might need to get more aggressive with the treatments. We doubt there will be any change though. He's been in Japan for a week at a brain tumor conference and had not spoken to her neurosurgeon or her neurologist. He also had not reviewed her latest MRI for himself. The neurosurgeon already reviewed her MRI from when she was in the hospital and said he did not see any growth or shift. We think it is just swelling in and around the tumor. Anyway, we'll find out for sure at her next appointment. She has been doing better the past week or so. She's eating better, got some weight back on. The steroids have increased her appetite. Her voice is sounding better and she's got some color back also. The vincristine is affecting the nerves that go quadriceps... that makes her legs a little sore and stiff and she walks like a penguin.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kenzie: Are you as hot as I am? I heard you got to bake cookies and sleep over at Grandma Bettys? What a special treat. Did you keep Grandma Betty up really late? I hope you are feeling better. We love you and think of you often. We pray all of your treatments are working for you and soon you will be much better. We pray for you and your family and know Heavenly Father will watch over you.

Love, Aunt Irene and boys

Anonymous said...

Hi Kenzie:
It was good to talk to you on the phone the other day. I loved how you told me your journal entry about your birthday and being in the stinking hospital. I laugh each time I think about that one. I hope you are feeling better. You keep those nurses and Drs. out of trouble ok? Keep smiling we love you and you are always in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

WE LOVE YOU MAKENZIE! ALWAYS REMEMBER THAT. The Auayfuays

Anonymous said...

Hi Makenzie,
What a beautiful name for a beautiful young lady. My name is Heidi Zeldenthuis, My mother in law Alice was there for 2 months helping Roger (her brother) and sister in law Lou with things and has told me so much about you and what a beautiful Girl you are. I hope it's OK for me to email you, Lou has sent me your Blog spot that was sent to her by your Grandfather,so Alice and I can read about you and your progress.
We just want you to know that you and your family are in our prayers everyday. Keep strong Makenzie.
Love & Prayers
Heidi & Alice

Anonymous said...

Kenzie,

It was great to see you on Sunday. You look so pretty in your dress. I hope you are still feeling good and that you and your family are getting to spend time together. Hope to see you again soon.

Tessie

Anonymous said...

I am sorry that you are not in my ward anymore but I hope and pray that things will continue to help you to get rid or at least stop the growth of the tumor. My prayers are always with you. Love, Shirley Parker
(P.S. I miss you Terrie as my V.T.)