Friday, June 02, 2006
Another Hospital Trip
Makenzie had her 6th treatment on Wednesday. She was not feeling well and on the way home she threw up. Then she threw up again at home. Then we found that she was having trouble swallowing water. She would gag herself and choke each time she swallowed. So we called the doctor and he sent us back to the ER and they admitted her to the hospital. They checked her shunt and it was working fine. They also did a detailed MRI to check for a cause of her nausea, headache, vomiting, and difficulty swallowing. They were concerned the tumor may have grown. The MRI showed nothing bad that we didn't already know about. Her ventricles were the same size, the tumor has not grown and is 2 inches from the part of the brain stem that controls nausea and vomiting. They did see some swelling around the tumor which hopefully is a sign the chemo is killing some tumor cells. Cells swell as they are damaged and die. The swelling can cause some of the symptoms she has been experiencing. But they were not able to say for sure what is causing her complications. She still is not feeling well but she is swallowing better. She spent two days in the hospital and came home Friday night. We think the combination of the tumor, the chemo, and the stress of the whole situation is just getting to her. Keep praying for her. Thank you to all who have helped us and continue to help us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Makenzie, we are so sorry that you are still not feeling well. We love you so much and want so much for you to be healthy again. We really miss you and worry about you when we are gone. We are anxious to see you and will be coming home on Tuesday evening. Don't ever forget how much Grandpa and I love you. We would do anything for you and are so proud of you for dealing with all the complications in such a positive way. We will see you Tuesday night.
Grandma Alice & Grandpa Bill
Makenzie--what a strong little spirit you are. You teach us all so much. When you are feeling up to it, we want to come see you! ~~The Phelans~~
Hi Kenzie: I was sorry to hear you were not feeling well. It is Saturday and I just got home a few minutes ago. I have been in Yellowstone Park and I had a great time. I saw the gysers, a grizzly bear, a moose, a bald eagle, bison, and elk to name a few animals. It snowed for 2 days we were there. The kids got to play in the snow. We love you and hope you feel better. Congratulations on finishing first grade and next year you will be a second grader. That is great!! I hope to see you over the summer. Feel better, and remember we love you and think of you often. You are special. Hi to your mom, dad, and brothers.
Love, Aunt Irene
Hi Makenzie,
I'm so sorry that you are feeling yucky, but it is good to have six treatmnents over with!!! We are really praying that they are helping to get rid of the tumor. It sounds like you are really doing so well and I love to see your pictures. You look so good! I loved seeing you always smiling. You are a very special girl.
Ethan, Holly's boy has been staying with us and he just finished with kindergarten. We took him back home to Utah last weekend and we saw Holly. Holly and I were talking about how brave you are and how much she misses you and your mom and that she wishes she could come and see you. I hope that the rest of your treatments go well and that you you don't get too sick from them anymore. We love you and your family.
Vickie Swain and family
Hi Makenzie,
I am sorry that you did not feel well this week. I hope you are doing better. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. I can't wait to see you in August as a big second grader.
Love,
Mrs. C. :)
Makenzie~
I hope you are feeling better. I hope that the next time you go to the hospital it is to see "SIERRA" and you give her lots of hugs & kisses. I can't tell you enough how brave you are & how beautiful your smile is. Let me know if I can help you at all or your parents. You are always in my thoughts, dreams & prayers.
Love ~ Kelli
Makenzie! You are my little hero!
Post a Comment