Makenzie was a trooper. She started her day early with an MRI that took over an hour. Then, a few hours just waiting around. She went into surgery about 1:00 and came out about 7:15. The surgeon said it took a while, there were a lot of blood vessels in the tumor (yes, it was tumor and not a cyst) and it was a race to stay ahead of the bleeding. But she did not lose enough blood to need to be transfused. He was able to remove all of the new growth. He did not touch the old part of the tumor that is down in her brain stem as that is too risky. And right now it seems that Makenzie did not suffer any damage from the tumor resection. She did wake up, move her arms and legs, and talk a little (I know, hard to image that she only talked a little bit). They will keep her sedated and resting throughout the night. We are not sure of the pathology on the new growth yet. The pathologist said it looked like low-grade astrocytoma, but the surgeon thought it looked more aggressive. We will get test results and the brain tumor team will meet in the coming days to determine what the next steps are. Right now, we are just thankful for a successful surgery. We are also not sure if she will need her shunt replaced or not or exactly how long she will be in the hospital. That will all get figured out in the next few days. We will continue to post updates daily.
Unfortunately, because of the swine flu scare, NO VISTORS ARE ALLOWED IN THE ICU right now. She can take phone calls, you can leave a comment on her blog and we will read them to her, and we can make deliveries to her.
Thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone who has called, prayed, fasted, visited, brought food, watched our boys. We are extremely grateful for the support.
16 comments:
I'm SOOOO glad they were able to remove the tumor and she is doing well. Thanks for keeping us posted. Please send her our love from Holly, Brandon, and the boys!
Hi Makenzie,
I'm glad that everything went well.
I hope you feel better. Love, Maryn Johnson
So happy everything went well! Take it easy for a while and get better and rested up! Thanks for the updates!
Makenzie! So glad you're out of surgery and doing good! Keep on smiling and don't forget...DCTL!
Love, the Olivers
I'm so thankful to hear that everything went well. Thank you for the updates.
Makenzie-I look forward to seeing your beautiful smile soon!
Love,
Mrs. Guevara
Hey I am so glad that she's doing so well! Tell Makenzie that we're all thinking of her.
Love the Burchs:)
Hey Makenzie,
YOU ARE SUCH A TROOPER!
keep on smiling, I can't wait to see you again!!
get well!!! I love you soooooo much!
Love, Tiffany
(& The Dittons)
I am so glad to hear everything went well. The Moore Family is in my thoughts and prayers! I am so amazed by Mackenzie's bravery!
Love,
Mrs. Armbruster
Mackenzie - you are amazing! Keep up the great healing! You are an inspiration to so many people - we love you!
Mackenzie,
We were so glad to hear that your surgery went well and you are getting some good rest!! Uncle Steve and I really wanted to come and visit you in the hospital today. We are sad that we can't see you until you get home sweetheart. You are so brave, and we could not be more proud of you. Keep smiling sunshine, we have big hugs waiting for you when you get home!! We love you!!!
Love,
Uncle Steve, Aunt Ginger, Tiffany Allison, Kalie and Douglas
Thanks for the update. We've been thinking about you guys. Kenzie, you are such a stong little girl and soooo brave. You are loved by so many people. We will keep you in our prayers. The Mullers
It's good to hear she's talking (even if it's just a little). We appreciate you taking the time to write this post with everything you have going on. We love you and keep your family in our prayers.
Kenzie, Hang tuff. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs and Kisses and Angel Wishes,
Angel Cathy in Tnnessee
Terri and Chris,
Thank you for the updates! Please know that Mackenzie is in my prayers daily.
Mackenzie we miss your bright smile and the great stories you tell us.
See you soon.
Love Ms. Vicki
Hi Makenzie
Hope you feel better. Just wanted to let you know Mr.Carroll's class and me have you in our prayers.
(A.K.A Mic Carroll/Amber)
Post a Comment